Rob Dickson & Merganzer - Melody Day (Caribou Cover) SINGLE
Label : Independent
Credits : Mixing.
If there’s one thing I’ve learned from asking musicians to cover another musician’s work, it’s that they’re always up for the challenge. For Rob Dickson and Merganzer, working on their interpretation of Caribou’s “Melody Day” presented the unique chance to get inside a song they both loved and mirror it using their own styles and tools.
They chose the song (from Caribou’s 2007 Polaris Music Prize-winning album Andorra) due to its “…subtly captivating energy and fierce melodies.” “The song’s music and lyrics seem to hint at the fleeting nature of joy,” says Dickson. “It’s a song that can lift you up and in the same moment release you–like breath, life; tidal or sinusoidal. Never fully balanced.”
Dickson and Merganzer worked together assembling melodies and musical phrases from Caribou’s 60’s psych/folktronica, weaving them into a soundscape of subdued classical guitar and dense atmospheric strings. Lyrics aren’t so much sung as they are lulled into the microphone, the subtle accents and harmonies imbuing Dickson and Merganzer’s version with intimacy and intensity.
Rob Dickson and Merganzer’s version of Caribou’s “Melody Day” will be available as a free download on June 30, 2017, as part of DOMINIONATED IV, our fourth compendium of Canadian songs covered by Canadian artists.
- The Garrys “Dusty Boy” (The Peelies)
- Rob Dickson and Merganzer “Melody Day” (Caribou)
- Harfang “Your Name” (Bernache)
- The Burning Hell “Thing Game” (Wax Mannequin)
- Oiseaux “Hunger of the Young” (Attack In Black)
- Snake River (featuring Lizzy Burt) “Where Evil Grows” (The Poppy Family)
- Blackpaw Society “White Lightning / Old Tattoo” (Danny Michel)
- Toui Manikhouth “Between Us to Hold” (Hayden)
- Pick a Piper “Ice on the Windowsill” (Teen Daze)